Friday, November 9, 2012

Here's what's up, based largely on my Tuesday appt with Dr. Benjamin
Nadeau. aka ChemoBoy Although I met with ChemoBoy several times while
in the hospital, this was my first visit to his clinic. He happened to
be wearing the same disgusting orange shirt he had on at our first
visit. I really wanted to rip it off and set it on fire in the trash
can.

So, here's the chemo plan. Begin on Nov 19 if possible.We're getting a
bit anxious about delaying, but have to get my infections gone before
we start. That also depends on getting a permanent vein port stuck
into my neck so they can pour in the juice more easily than with a
normal IV. I had underestimated the time involved. As it stands, his
plan is weekly for two months on Gemcitabine, the primary popular
standard chemo for pancreatic cancer.Then two months on 5-FU. (love
the name) 5-fluorouracil along with daily radiation.This is the one
that carries the most yukky side effects.Then another two months on
Gemcitabine.

I was pretty encouraged by my visit with ChemoBoy. Perhaps just
because he's been less downbeat than he was in our first meeting. He
went line by line through the mystery of the CBC blood panel results
and explained them in intelligent adult ways. CB was clear about not
getting involved in any clinical trials and not considering some of
the innovative stuff they're doing at Vanderbilt as it really doesn't
seem to work with Pancreatic Cancer. He did say though that their
practice is affiliating with a larger practice in Nashville that is
doing some more innovative things. He referred to these options as
things to consider "if it comes back". Asked him about that and what
he said was it is possible, though not terribly likely that they got
rid of all the cancer with the surgery. If pushed, he's betting there
are some cancer cells running around, likely near the former home of
the pancreas and spleen.

When I asked him why he seemed more optimistic than in our first
visit, he said that he has to be careful and conservative in initial
visits lest patients, in their hopefulness, hear something that makes
them believe he brings a cure.  When I asked him why he decided to go
ahead with chemo and radiation/chemo in spite of my present and past
infections and problems, he said he was wanting to go forward because
he "thinks he can do me some good".  Having no other place to hang my
hat, I'll take that for now.

Generally, each chemo treatment is a couple hours, though they can
last as long as six. Perhaps a good time to do some leg exercises when
I'm not scooting Larry to the barf room.

 Still have the drain in that they used in hospital to drain the
abscess and that will be there till about the 15th. Using a very cool
self administered IV thingy for potent antibiotics.  My legs have
become substantially weaker, and it's now a challenge to stand more
than a few minutes, while walking more than a few steps with walker is
pretty much out. Maybe I can improve that with exercise.

Finally, weight is down under 290, from 350 six months ago in
hospital, which we all think is a good thing. Must work on keeping my
appetite and eating good stuff to keep diabetes from running amok.

These days are pretty much eaten up by getting ready for some medical
treatment, going to the treatment, having home treatments from Nursey,
and dealing with questions that come up about previous medical
treatments. Gets old fast. But trying to keep making at least a little
progress each day

No comments:

Post a Comment