Saturday, November 24, 2012

Well, we've begun. I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever get here, but we have and all's well so far.

Day 1 (Nov 19, 2012)
Largely uneventful. Depending on who's reporting I suppose.  A good appointment with CB prior to treatment. Beginning to like this doc more and more. He couldn't be less like me, but I am grateful that he treats me as an intelligent adult who can understand all his thoughts if only he's mindful about how he puts them out. We talked briefly about nutritional supplements as I had been talked in to taking a green tea concoction for it's cleansing powers. One of the five ingredients in this compound has the very same physical effect on cancer cells as chemo. For that reason, and needing to be able to understand my body's reactions quickly and accurately, he advised me off the stuff so we are working in a more controlled environment.

The treatment room was my biggest worry and it turned out to be kinda funny. The impression is that of a large hair salon. With several dozen comfy easy chair recliners lining the walls. About a dozen patients when I went in, some there for dialysis as well as some for chemo. What struck me was that everyone seemed to be very familiar with each other and the half dozen or so on the nursing staff. A lot of chit chat back and forth and good-natured greetings and well wishes to departing patients. All very friendly and casual.

They started me off with a small bag of anti-nausea stuff in the IV pick line, followed by a larger bag of the Gemcitabine. Altogether maybe an hour of IV drips. The highlight was their sandwiches and snacks and a really good cup of coffee.  The lowlight was my catheter bag springing a leak for no apparent reason while I was in the chair. Seemed like I was the only one in the room the least bit concerned about it.

Day 2.
Virtually no side effects last night. Today nothing more than a mild temp and some sniffles. Could have been from the flu shot I had following the chemo treatment.

Day 3.
Even fewer side effects than yesterday.

Day 4.
Thanksgiving Day. I won't go into the mental gymnastics I did about thankfulness today. One thing I was grateful for was there were no side effects. I did get a number of emails and texts from friends wishing me well, and housekeeper came over just to visit for a couple hours with a treat of some sugar free cookies. Was Skyped by all my girls and first wife, Cindy and we all had some very nice visits. Very grateful for that. It's not easy doing this chemo thing as a disabled old guy alone.

Day 5.
No side effects today. Well one small nausea flare up that amounted to nothing. Came about from a strong cough. Took the nausea pills and nothing more that day.

Day 6.
Cold out there dragging Bud through the woods on the power chair. ("Larry") Led to some sniffles but didn't amount to much or last long.

And so it went. Most of the first week of chemo was pretty uneventful. Monday morning, before my next treatment, I'm going in for outpatient surgery to put a Portacath thing in my neck so they can put the IV drip in their without messing with veins. Supposed to be at the hospital at 5:15. Right. We'll see.

One of the things I'm counting on to help me get through this treatment regimen, and particularly the middle two months of daily radiation, is the practice of mindfulness meditation as espoused by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I've had great success with his work in past years during periods of profound emotional pain. He has practiced this form of pain management at  the University of Massachusetts medical center for decades. Look him up and give it a try. You won't be sorry.

See you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment