Saturday, March 23, 2013

A milestone that feels like a millstone.  Yesterday I finished the six week radiation/chemo component of the treatment plan. Got my certificate of achievement and got to ring the "graduation bell", ding dong day.  Actually, it was quite a treat. Got a standing O from all the patients and staff assembled in the reception area, and sweet hugs from most all the staff.  As uncomfortable as this treatment process is, I will miss the people involved. So very impressed with their dedication and humanity. These people at the Chattanooga Memorial Cancer Institute know cancer and know cancer patients. And they treat them and us wonderfully. I feel most fortunate in this regard.  I've made a few nice friends among the patients I saw daily and always worry some when I don't see them. Some of these folks have had a much rougher time of it than I.

Before they disconnected my 5-FU pump, doc told me what to expect in the coming weeks. Almost wish he hadn't told me to expect that the side effects can get worse before they get better. Sure enough, he was right.

So in the end, the inventory of side effects feature a bit of nausea and significant mucositis, leaving tenderness and sores from my lips to my stomach. Indeed, it is a little worse today but I'm sure it's gonna turn in another day or two. Those and the low level fatigue are about it for the side effects in this treatment segment. I am looking forward to the two week break and the six week weekly Gemcitabine infusions. Found very little discomfort with that in the beginning six weeks.

A trickier matter is what to think and do about the answer Dr. N gave me to my question about what he would expect my future to be given his experience with other patients with similar conditions, with this treatment regimen, and with my response so far.  He agreed that finding only one cancerous lymph node among the nineteen they removed could be a  good sign, suggesting they might have gotten most all of it with surgery. However, the fact that they'd found some in the fatty tissues on the margins argues in the opposite direction. So, while he hopes we may have a cure, the history of pancreatic cancer suggests otherwise.

So his guess was that we may well have delayed the recurrence following surgery. That some have survival rates of 18 - 24 months, and a few survive about 36 months. Without the chemo and radiation, many survive 12 months or less. There is no telling if or where I might fit into that picture. One effort to find comfort in that finds me concluding that given my family history, I'd be very lucky to survive 36 more months for any reason, including "old age".  Actually, I've always believed that for me, anything beyond 56 years would be gravy, and thus I've had quite a lot of gravy, for which I'm grateful.

So there remains the thinking and deciding what to do with the rest of this time. I really have only a few powerful beginning ideas, and realize it would take a pretty big chunk of time to even get moving on them.  But whichever path we choose, enjoying the present moment and day will be the feature part of the plan.

Never give up.  Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment