Sunday, March 10, 2013

So much for looking forward to radiation treatments. They're starting to take a bit of a toll and that will no doubt increase as we go for the next two weeks.  The only problem I'm sure is related to radiation is the diarrhea. It was bound to happen as I can't imagine how they could get a beam in there without damaging some of the surrounding organs and tissue. The pancreas is, after all, surrounded by other organs and the beam has to go through them to get to the target. Still and all, I have great faith in the oncology radiation doc and the techs. They are extremely careful to get me positioned properly and watch closely as the beam travels across my abdomen.  Chemo doc prescribed a med for the blasts and it appears to be working for now.

The 5-FU has begun to have adverse effects again. After they had the pump disconnected for a week, my mouth and throat finally healed and were good as new. That's encouraging to think about how quickly they will heal once we're done with this stuff in two weeks. The effect is common, and I believe is called mucositis, and it inflames the skin of the throat and mouth to the point where I don't really want to eat anything. It could also be caused by radiation in that local area. Guzzling the protein shakes now and then works somewhat. But the stuff I can eat with this problem (dairy mostly, scrambled eggs and hot cereal) tend to aggravate the other problem.  There is a deal called Magic Mouthwash that helps some in that the Lydocaine in it numbs the mouth and throat for a couple hours at a time.

Please don't take this as complaining. I'm not. Just passing on the information about this experience so that anyone looking here for information will get what's real.

There is a new release about how Doxepin relieves some Mucositis pain.  Here...

http://www.clinicaloncology.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Solid%2BTumors&d_id=148&i=February+2013&i_id=932&a_id=22583

All for now. In two weeks I get to ring that damn bell. Never give up. You are a survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment